While we have been having great weather in our area with no snow on the ground and lots of geese still around, I thought I would change things up and head into a southern area to chase some pheasants for a bit. Both dogs did really well.

Finn as a 6 year old was 11 pheasants off of 300 and this was Brodie's first pheasant outing. We did a preserve hunt on 3/4's of land and we had it to ourselves. My partner cancelled at the last minute which created some challanges on working areas. I got them to release 12 birds for us and as we could hunt the full 3/4's it was a long walking day.

The area had snow - old and fresh. Bad and good. Bad as with crusty snow pheasants like to run a lot. Good - fresh light snow over night showed the fresh tracks of birds -- ours and the ones others missed. There was a fair bit of wind so shooting was tricky.

The dogs found 15, 3 flushed out of range, I flat out missed 2 and we came home with 10. I think of the 12 they released for us we found 8 so I was glad for left over birds from others.

Looking at the intensity on the face on the young dog bringing back the rooster you would not think that bird was still alive and only suffered a broken wing. He has a very soft mouth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by HughW; 11/05/23. Reason: Typos

Hugh