Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I got to know Jeff in his last years, partly because he wrote a favorable review of my book The Life of the Hunt (a collection of hunting stories, not articles) in his G&A column. At first we corresponded about various things--back in the day when that meant typing letters, rather than e-mailing.

His letters were always interesting, partly because he had done a LOT of stuff in his lifetime--but he was a little arrogant about his various experiences, and in some ways he was justified.

Eventually met him personally, and we had some even more interesting conversations--though the one time we planned to get together in Montana, on an outfitted hunt he went on around 50 miles from here, it didn't happen due to major blizzard, which closed the mountain pass between us. But di get to talk to him some on the phone--which was our last conversation before he passed away.

Whether in letters or conversation, he was always interesting.

I saw him at an NRA Convention in Charlotte years ago. My wife and I were not close to him but I felt his stare locked on me so I went and chatted with him. I think he was a unique man and I respected him very much. None of us are the same so I give Mr. Cooper the credit and respect he deserved.