Originally Posted by bt8897
Tell us about great grandads 7x57! Looks like a beautiful rifle

This could take us far, far afield from this thread. It's probably best addressed separately, but I have posted about it here in the past.

If memory serves, I first mentioned it here in a thread re: 160 grain Partitions in the 7x57..

Then there was a tongue-in-cheek thread wondering about .285 bullets for it, seeing that it was described in one of his hunting journals as a, ".285 special Mauser".

To go still further in the weeds, I found the following in Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No one in the family has any recollection of the arsenal ever including a .285 OKH. Given that this rifle is the only 7mm ever spoken of, perhaps it's the one that accounted for the pictured ram. The only bullets mentioned being used in it in recent times were 160 and 175 Noslers. I've not looked into who might've made a 180 grain, .285 bullet, but I'm sure it would have over penetrated. wink

In any event, the bigger mystery is that Great Grandad must have been in correspondence with Elmer Keith, and none of us were aware of it.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/15/23.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC