Thanks for the advice STRSWilson.

I always use a bore guide, and this is the Bore Rod I use.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What have been doing for years:

I run a brass wire through the barrel several to loosen any copper bore fouling then I switch to clean white patches soaked with a brand of bore solvent called Truly Remarkable Bore Solvent. I keep on running fresh patches soaked with this solvent until the patches come out clean, meaning they are white and without residual blue color on them. That's about it.

I do not overwork the barrel rifling with the brush since it is an M1917, and I do not want to ruin the threading, this rifle is a great shooting rifle!

Now that I have the barrel off the stock because I am refinishing my M1917 stock I want to do a detailed cleaning and oiling of all other parts.

I bought the BALLISTOL, to give all parts a final spray of this oil. I have never put oil in the barrel itself, but since it acts as a cleaner, lubricant, and protectant I was thinking this may be a good idea, which is why I asked if anyone else does that.

Looking forward to seeing my M1917 back on the finished stock, should look real Pruddy cool

Took a look at bore inspection devices, since I am from Canada I found this on, good enough?

https://www.amazon.ca/SKYBASIC-Industrial-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid/dp/B0BV98JZ22/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1P5DRKSS4BQTJ&keywords=rifle%2Bborescope&qid=1701014923&sprefix=rifle%2Bborescope%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-13&th=1

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/26/23.

KB