From the original Vari-x, to the VX-roman numeral, to the VX-1,2 and 3's, what happened was the prior version top line became the middle tier next line so features such as full multicoating or click adjustments, on say, a VX-III became standard on a VX-2.
The best new features went into the new VX-3 for example.

Where the modern VX-line improved were in the lens coatings, eye pieces, the internals of the scope have been darkened to reduce flair, matched indexed lenses, click adjustments throughout the line as well as fully multicoated optics and improved erectors.

The VX Freedom line offers something very similar to the prior VX-2 scope.

I have used multiple generation models of Leupolds, recently purchased a new Freedom and have a VX-3 that has a few years on it on my go-to rifle. Both are nice and lightweight, brighter than older models with plenty of eye relief. Easy to mount.

If cutting to the chase in terms of brightness I would choose my Freedom over an older Vari-x III.

Competition over the last 20 years in this market has made features and performance significantly more available and affordable.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius