Sounds like the OP is where I was several years ago. I used to chase whiskies that are allocated in my area, like Weller green label, Eagle Rare, and now even Buffalo Trace. I now sip whiskies that are readily available for a reasonable (by today's standards) price. My standard rotation inclues:

Wild Turkey 101 - hard to believe 101 proof bourbon can have a sweet tinge to it. Tastes great.
Elijah Craig
Larceny - Also can have a hint of sweetness.
Dickel No. 12 - Tennessee Whiskey does taste different than most bourbons. I have also found it very consistent bottle to bottle.

I also include the ocasional bottle of Four Roses Small Batch, Glenmorangie Original Scotch, Glenlivet 12 yr Scotch, and Jameson Irish. Most whiskies taste better to me with a drip or two of bottled water that can reduce the burn and improve the flavor. I drink it too slow to use ice; mine gets watered down too much with ice. Part of the enjoyment of whiskey (Whisky to the Scots and Dickel) is trying occasionally trying something different. Find two or three favorites and go from there.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me