Hondo says it very well. If sectional density correlates to penetration, then the Creedmoor shoots bullets with great sectional density at velocities that shoot flatter. These higher velocity bullets have a higher BC...so maintain velocity further (bullet expands more reliably at distance) and drift less in the wind. At close ranges it's more about bullet construction than caliber but a high sectional density can help with penetration.

I keep wanting to add another rifle to pair with my 260 AI (mostly for deer). No reason, just like rifles. I've been looking at a 308 (I'm done with high recoil rifles). Then I start looking at 308 velocities with 165g bullets, the extra recoil, the less than stellar BC, etc. and realize the 308 case is fairly optimized at 26 caliber so what does the 308 do my 260 can't? Honestly, nothing <smile>. I'm still considering getting a 20" barreled 308 with a decently heavy barrel so not too light. In fact I was looking at a Bergara B14 this past week that felt great when pointing it. Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a tad more accurate than the venerable 308 Win?

It sure seems like most 6.5 Creedmoors are extremely easy to shoot accurate groups.

Am I wrong? The 6.5 Creedmoor just seems like so eager to please in regards to accuracy.

I have used both quite a bit and both are very easy to get to group well, easier than most cartridges. That being said, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor because with it I can push a high BC bullet at reasonable velocities. If I load similar weight bullets out of a .308, they have a much lower BC. If I want to push a .308 bullet that has the same BC as a given .6.5 bullet at the same velocity that I can launch them from the 6.5 Creedmoor, it takes much larger than a .308 case to do it. Recoil is noticeably less with the 6.5 Creedmoor so it is easier to shoot well. I have not seen that one kills better than the other, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is easier to shoot well.

John

Last edited by HogWild; 12/11/23.

HogWild