Originally Posted by Fraser
Originally Posted by FLGator
Don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Recommend you read this thread in it’s entirety:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

I've actually read that thread before. There is some really interesting stuff there. Using the .223 has occurred to me. My concern is how much range she might have with it in a farm field. I hear some mixed things about the .223 as a deer round once distance starts to stretch. Do you have any experience with this one? All of my own deer have been taken with a .270 or .30-06 until I recently started using a 6.5x284.

I’m in that thread on Rokslide. I killed a Mulie buck this year with one shot from my Tikka .223 at 475 yards, 75 gr ELDX. The buck went straight down and I mean right now, didn’t take a step.

That said, Tikka just came out with a 1-8” .243 that looks very interesting. I have a hard time thinking there’s much difference between a 75 grain .224 bullet and a 105 grain .243 bullet at distances most new hunters would shoot.

If you’re not comfortable with a .223 (it takes an open mind, believe me) look hard at the 1-8” Tikka.

Or buy them both and let her decide.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001