Couple of quick thoughts. I think I learned a little here. I'd read many moons ago, probably something from Mel Tappan, about the idea of owning guns in many different calibers in case one runs across some ammo for an obscure cartridge. From Mackay Sagebrush's real-world experience, that sounds highly improbable. In fact, I started consolidating things a few years ago as I've gotten older, but I try to keep at least two guns for a given cartridge- if it might really be needed and a replacement can't just be bought- just in case.

As far as running for the hills, which was the common thought in the 70's and 80's, this article by Duncan Long, called "Backpack Fever" cured me of that. Very well thought out, and not terribly long. http://www.duncanlong.com/science-fiction-fantasy-short-stories/backpack.htm

I remember reading a book by Ragnar Benson (who I think may have been an early version of a "keyboard warrior", prior to the internet) in which he emphasized the pitiful conditions of refugees that he'd come across in his travels in other countries and advised his readers to never, ever, become a refugee. Seemed like good advice to me.