Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by Windfall
I can appreciate that lots of the guys on here use very good binoculars, but I do wonder how many of you use them in our typical northern public land, second growth, limited visibility deer stand hunting? Agriculture fields, trophy hunting, antler restrictions, no rifle scope, then sure the binoculars. The deer I hunt in the national forest I see because they are moving and I am stationary, so the advantage is with me. If the deer is stationary and I am moving like glassing, then the advantage is with the deer. If I need to confirm a buck from a doe, my rifle scope does that and I am already ready to shoot. There is a good deal of movement that will spook a deer to transition from using binoculars to mounting a rifle, so to borrow that line from the song "30 Point Buck", "There he was, gone." No one in the northern hunting camps that I've been in has used them.

If you're happy with your tactics, keep doing that. Even in the big woods, I like binos so that I can focus behind brush and see what's on the other side.

Yep. I'd feel quite hamstrung without a binocular in the big woods.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D