I got from cmp a m-1 they called loaded, had a new stock and new barrel about 2 years ago and relieved wood in the normal spots and went over it very carefull took it out to my range and with 47 gr a2495 and palma bullets was getting 3 1/2 inch groups at 200 but every other group had a flyer that could be out by 3 or 4 inches so I went over it again and the rear handguard felt a little tight and I remember wanting to avoid taking it off because the little clip is hard to get off the barrel. I got it off and it was not a little tight, it was a lot tight so I took wood out untill it didn't contact the barrel and shot it again and 3 inches for 5 shots at 200 with no flyer this time hopefully no flyers next time either. I took this rifle to Sacramento to let my grandsons shoot a silhouette match for rack grade military rifles Thanksgiving time and for the rams at 500 meters I brought some loads 47 gr A2495 and 168 mk figuring if that load shot 155's it would like 168's but I tested the 168's and that group was 8 inches at 200 for 5 shots so back to the palma bullets, I could not be happier how they shoot in the garand. I will take it back to sacramento in January for them to try again