Originally Posted by ArcherBunker
I've been rolling my own heavy wood shafts for more than 35 years. I use a router and a drill and homemade spine tester. Douglas fir is the best heavy arrow because it recovers from paradox faster than hardwoods. Maple is my favorite because it stays straight after using heat, is heavier than fir and doesn't chip out or splinter when straightening.

Things I learned about shooting homemade heavy arrows:
Heavy arrows fly better with heavy points.
Not many homemade arrows will spine out heavy enough for a 75-pound bow unless they are closer to 3/8" diameter or you find the unicorn of all boards.
Heavy weight bows are a bigger pain to tuning wooden arrows than lighter weight bows are.
Heavy weight bows are louder than lighter weight bows.
Shoot a heavy weight bow long enough you'll decide a lighter weight bow is just right following your second shoulder surgery.
If you're new to shooting tradition, then learn to shoot with aluminum or carbon first so you know it's not the arrow.
If you think you draw 28" then you probably only draw 27". In 45 years of shooting a bow I've seen a lot of 31" draw compound shooters but only a couple 31" trad shooters and they were 6'8" and could adjust the passenger mirror on their truck without leaning.
Be prepared to give up something if you start making your own arrow shafts because there is still only 24 hours in a day.
Successfully hunting with your own equipment makes it all worthwhile.
Well said and all true. Especially about the light bows working just fine after destroying your shoulders. 😆

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.