Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I was using 60 gr (vol) of by209 and a 240 xtp for my nephew. Unfortunately had a hang fire when it counted (at a deer) and we didn’t connect. Too light a load for bh209? I think I would use 777 or pyrodex if shooting that light a load in the future. Someone used to post about shooting light charges (~50gr 777) with the all lead tc cheap shots with acceptable results on deer.

My old Rossi .45 youth muzzleloader manual suggested one pellet under a 195 gr Barnes, iirc.

I use 50 gr of pyro P in my white whitetail with a 460 gr NE all lead bullet. Subsonic with enough punch out to 100 yards for deer.

Yep. I really doesnt take much to get that big lead moving. I like 460's in my White. No excuses, but my favorite are Ed Mehligs. I lost touch with him, but that dude has a mould and can make some fiiiine boooolets. I have about 70 left... Really need to find him.

edit- not a fan of pyrodex though. For me, it's like a sponge absorbing water and if not unloaded will get hangfires if left for the next hunt. Ymmv. I moved away from pyrodex.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/13/24.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.