Friends:

I sit here in stormy Florida this evening while snow and ice storms rage north of here. I trust whatever you are up to that you are safe and warm.

Going back and forth on the issue of CRF vs. pushfeed on a dangerous game rifle, I have had a very interesting sidebar conversation with a knowledgeable member of the fire in Alaska regarding an ancillary issue: what about "tactical reloads"?

Here is the issue: Some controlled round feeds do not allow you to top load a round if you have emptied your magazine and need yet another shot in a pinch. Not sure for the right word for this, but when you add a round on, say, an empty Mauser 98 IIRC the bolt/extractor will not fully capture the rim to enable the thing to go bang.

Yes I recognize this issue is a stretch in that if you are stampeded by, say, a brown bear, you would even have the time to empty your magazine onto it, but please bear with me (no pun intended). So situationally, here you are, empty magazine, bear in your face, and you have a pressing need to throw another round into the magazine, yet if you do the sunofaagun is not going to fire because...... its designed that way.

Now what?

Is there a better mousetrap?

Warm regards to all, and thanks in advance for your input.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough