Originally Posted by Calhoun
Good find! I'm presuming Joseph had just sent in requesting a catalog, and Arthur was basically writing a form letter. Betting secretary/clerk typed up a bunch, and Arthur just signed letter and addressed envelopes.
My first impression was that the signature did not look like any of his I've seen on patents, it's neater & more elaborate, not what I would expect on a form letter replying to a request for a catalog. I wonder if maybe the secretary also did the signing - but his signatures do really vary a lot over time, if indeed all the patents were actually signed by him - there's a lot difference, but all have his middle name or initial. I also have a copy of his signature on an agreement with Stevens Arms & Tool for the design of what would become the Gallery 80 from Sept 1905 that John Callihan copied for me, it took me until today to find it so I could scan it - it's an enhanced scan of a scan of an old document. I would think that document had to be actually signed by him.
[Linked Image]
For anyone curious, here's the full scan of the 1905 agreement with Stevens, JTC said this document was rewritten the same day to put everything in Arthur W's son's name - Arthur J Savage. Arthur W. had an agreement not to compete with Savage Arms if he ever left and as we have discussed before, he was pushed out early in 1905.
[Linked Image]
The Gallery 80 did not go into production until 1907, this was probably because internally the design borrowed heavily from the Winchester Model 1890 and John Browning's patent for it would not expired until mid 1907. Even thought it borrowed form a very good design, it was a very poor design and did not stay in production long, Here's A. J. Savage's letter concerning the end of production -
[Linked Image]

Gene