A local lady was killed last week in a hunting accident. According to the sheriff’s report released publicly, a man and his wife were out deer hunting during the late Kansas antlerless season. After returning to the truck, the man laid his rifle down on the back seat to unload the rifle. When he clicked off the safety to unload, the rifle went off, fatally wounding his wife.

Obviously my first thought was the same as most of you, he broke the first rule of gun safety. My second thought, probably like many of you, was wondering if it was a Remington. Well, today I saw some video from the sheriff’s office of the rifle in question. It was an older Remington ADL with the trigger that locked the bolt with the safety on, therefore the hunter had to click off the safety to unload. There were 3 different clips of the rifle going off when the safety was flipped to fire with no finger on the trigger. If it was that easy to replicate multiple times, it’s hard to believe it just started happening. Preventable and tragic.