I picked up a like new Kimber 8400 Classic 300WSM locally from an old man (yeah, he was older than me!) who had quit hunting. He had it listed to sell and I gave him his asking price; I got it for about half to almost a third of what Gun Broker has! Anyhow, just for grins, I'm going to load up some Sierra 150PHs for deer/antelope/coyotes. I shot alot of Sierra PHs out of an '06 years before, but never killed game with them. I have a story for you about this, involves my first experience with both, the 150PH/300 Mag.

About 25yrs ago, I had bought a 300WM to try out/use in South Africa with the Barnes 180XBT. My first 300 Mag. Before that trip, I was invited for a deer hunt in Llano Tx, small Hill Country deer, shots under 100yds. I had just got the rifle so I just bought some Federal Blue Box in 150gr, thinking they would explode inside, like a bomb. Up till then I had used a variety of rifles, including 7mm Mag and 338 Mag, 35 Whelan Ackley, etc. Never a 300 until now. I shot 4 deer (3 does/1 buck) and they looked like they had been shot with the Barnes and Partitions I used in the others! Half inch entrance, silver dollar exit hole, mess in between BUT about 10 inches of shot up lungs and crap had been "syphoned " out by the bullets passing! I had never seen that! ha. I was impressed! Through the years I have shot a ton of Sierras, Speers, Hornady bullets. When I started out Handloading, I always considered "them" as "Premium" bullets! Even though I like to kill game with Monos, I still have great respect and use for these old standbys! Anyone else see that "syphoning" affect on small deer/antelope when shot with a fast 30?

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/22/24.