My 45-70 CVA Scout
Copyright 2023 – Stephen Redgwell

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
CVA Scout – 45-70 with a Burris 2-7 scope

Sometimes, you just have to buy a rifle “because”. The CVA Scout is one of those purchases. This one is a single shot that’s chambered for a rimmed cartridge, the 45-70. Of my single shots, this trigger out of the box is far and away the best I have ever used. That includes several Ruger No. 1s and my Thompson Center Contender/Encore rifles as well. The mechanism was well executed. It breaks at 3 lb with little creep. If it’s like that new, I can see it improving with use.

I have three H&R single shots that had the worst factory triggers of the bunch. All needed attention. My 22 K-Hornet was touched up by polishing the metal surfaces. That made it better, but it still lags behind the rest.

Handi Rifle – 22 K-Hornet with a Leupold 4×33mm scope

Granted, the H&R/NEF Handi rifles were budget guns, so you couldn’t expect a nice, light trigger. But they worked. If you were hunting or shooting when they were still being made, you might remember that in addition to their low price, they were a dependable, no frills performer.

Unfortunately, they ceased production in 2015 and since then, prices for used Handis are through the roof! With the exception of collectibles, these pre-owned single shots seem to be overpriced. I see a few on gun shop racks, but they sit until either the store lowers the asking price, or a potential buyer haggles to bring the cost down.

Single shots are definitely a niche market. It’s no surprise, given that almost everyone wants an autoloader these days. It’s the influence of television and for some, having served in the military. As a retired armourer, I spent a lot of time with autoloaders. We cannot use them for hunting right now, but I am confident that will change.

That wordy preamble over, let’s talk about the CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) Scout rifle. You can read about its history and what it manufactures here. CVA Rifles The web also has reviews on them.

I am by no means an expert of their products, but I like the Scout.

7.5 pounds without a scope

It has a fluted, stainless steel barrel. This isn’t the norm for single shots and is a nice touch.

It comes with a scope rail. If you get one, remember to take it off, clean up the screw threads and reinstall them with some Loctite. I bought a pair of Burris 1 inch, medium height Zee rings because I had difficulties accessing the hammer using the lows.

Four screws keep the rail secure

The forend is made for quick take down. A short pull on the lever and off it comes.

Fluted barrel with muzzle brake

Now something that might make you go hmmm.

It weighs 7.5 lb. With the scope, 8.5 lb. Shooting a 45-70, some loads might make you wince. I suppose that goes for any rifle though if it’s loaded hot.

It has a muzzle brake. These days, they are “cool”. A lot of younger shooters want them, regardless of calibre, because of their looks. As most of us know however, there are trade offs. The biggest is that they are louder. Use them at the range with a big bore cartridge and you will wake up the neighbours. I don’t know how effective this particular brake is, but I’m assuming a 25 to 30% recoil reduction.

That’s a big breech!

I loaded up some 400 grain lead bullets with AA 5744. The computer prediction with the 24 inch barrel is 1500 fps. That means, without the brake, it will generate about 20 ft/lb of felt recoil. With the brake, take 25% off,. That means about 15 ft/lb on my shoulder. If the rifle groups two inches or better at 100 yards, it’s good to go.

More on how it performed when I get back from the range.

https://303british.com/my-cva-scout-in-45-70/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada