Traveled today to a distant gun shop to buy some grooved receiver rings for a new to me Rifle.
While there I came across a "used" but MINT condition Nikon Monarch 6x24x50m/m Rifle scope - this is the model with the side parallax focus and fast feature eyepiece focus.
Anyway I looked it over as best I could and took it outside and it was clear as a bell and focusing as should be.
I own a BUNCH of Nikon scopes but I bought them all (new and some used) back when Nikon was in the "scope business" - now that they have foresaken the Rifle scope market I haven't bought any. Mostly because of the notion/worry in the back of my mind "what if something goes wrong" with the scopes functions.
This scope was on "consignment" at the gun shop and the counterman called the consignee with my "low-ball" cash offer and the owner took me up on it.
Anyway on the way home I stopped and looked at several herds of Antelope (the bucks are re-growing their horns already) with the scope and was VERY pleased with its clarity.
Once to home I mounted the scope and boresighted it and the adjustments moved as expected across the borescopes grid. If the wind is down tomorrow I'll take the rig to the range.
A Varminting buddy of mine had the crosshair break on his Weaver V-16 last spring and "someone" (I forget who) made some kind of a make-up gesture on that Weaver scope for him. It is my understanding that Weaver is no longer in the Rifle scope business either. My friends Weaver V-16 was on a 17 HMR Rifle as will my new to me Nikon - so recoil should NOT be/have been much of a factor.
What are you guys thoughts on buying used scopes from companies "no longer in the Rifle scope business"?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy