Originally Posted by Bama73
I know economically it doesn't make sense, but I just want a mauser to say I have one. I see bronells sells short chambered barrels if this one is toast. Other than that drill and tap for a scope and a better trigger is about all I want to do to make it a fun deer and paper gun. I also want a 1917 one day for the same reason. Just to have a part of history. I'm a savage guy and have 3 that I have built/am building so I have modern rifles covered. This is just for fun. Thanks everyone.

Czech PM sent on the 7x57 bbl as that's the caliber I prefer to do.

I'm late to the thread and I don't know if you purchased the rifle or not. I just wanted to say, don't overlook or pooh-pooh the ol' 8x57 cartridge. With the .30-06 being as available as dirt, there's really no need or compelling reason to go out of one's way to acquire a rifle in 8x57. BUT, that doesn't mean that the 8x57 doesn't work if you happen to have one!

If the original barrel is in good shape, then I'd give some serious consideration to keeping the 8x57 and using it.

Here's a few pics from South Africa back in 2005. A nice Impala and a couple of "little piggy" culls taken for the land owner.

Just my two cents... Cheers! Bob F. smile

Rifle: Remington Model 700 Classic (2004 edition) chambered in 8x57JS.
It's factory stamped "8mm Mauser" on the barrel.
Handload: Woodleigh Weldcore 220 gr Round Nose (.323") at approx 2400 fps muzzle velocity.
(10 shot, chronographed average.)

How well does such a "slow", heavy, old-fashioned round nose bullet actually work? Well... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Rubber side up." It ran a little after the shot and this is how it stopped.

The 8x57JS loaded with the Woodleigh Weldcore 220 gr Round Nose.

Remington's 8x57 Classic
By Layne Simpson | September 23, 2010
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/featured_rifles_classic_062804/84564

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke