Wow so many questions..

Climate control storage....I have three (3) 24-gun safes in my heated/humidity controlled "man cave" that are used solely for ammo storage. I have a vast collection of Ruger #1 single shots (168) of virtually every caliber that was made and a smaller collection of Ruger 77 (68) in various calibers. then comes the Sako's, the Remington's, Marlin's, etc. etc. etc. The factory rifle ammo is all in original boxes, catalogued and indexed with bar codes for easy identification. Safe #2 is all shotgun ammunition, including but not limited to slugs, buckshot, TSS, TSS Matrix, Steel Shot, Bismuth, etc. Again, it is sorted and easily identified and all in original boxes. Safe #3 is for reloads, reloading components such as powder and primers and "odd ball" collectible ammunition. Then I have two rolling work stations full of dies, projectiles, and just about anything for reloading ammunition. I do mine the old fashioned way of one bullet at a time. My son has all the automated Dillon presses for rifle, handgun and shotgun. Currently my home is undergoing a massive remodel and the man cave is off limits with the Visqueen and temporary wall so I cannot get into the safe with the shotgun ammo to verify if I have more of the Federal 2 shot (which I suspect I do).

What do I want from Federal? I asked if they had an issue in the past and there was dead silence. The conversation immediately turned to "20 year old ammo and the brass gets weaker with age (calling B.S. there). So I do not expect Federal to do a damn thing. That is why I posted here.

Customer inspecting my barrel? Of course I checked it as well. I had to load new shells so did a quick visual using my cell phone light to verify. Anytime we have a client have a magazine jam, or possible "dud" our guides are required to verify the weapon to be safe (steel pits with4-7 hunters) so we don't want steel shot ricocheting of walls, etc.

So, now the air is clear. Back to the purpose...WARNING if you have Federal 10 Guage #2 shot with the engraved goose on the shell base beware that I have had this happen twice.... and now for the experts..Federal did replace four boxes for me 10 years ago when this happened and the same rep that told me the brass weakened said that if the shells were only 10 years old they would most likely replace them.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com