Our German Shepherd X St. Bernard, Gus, was a giant of a dog, well over 100#. He would patrol the farmstead and bring us the carcasses of any critters caught trespassing. Coons and ‘possums were the most common but badgers, skunks and coyotes were all in the mix too. One night I came home from an appointment about 1:00 a.m. and there was the biggest ‘possum I’d ever seen lying on the sidewalk. I took the toe of my boot and flipped him off the walk. He was playing dead and was unhappy with the rough treatment Gus had given him. He hissed and lunged at me with his mouth open…looked like a freaking crocodile coming at me. I kicked him, with little noticeable effect, and he just waddled away. I doubt he was 20# but he was 10-15#.
Got a small black one that lives in the hollow willow down by the creek. On warm days, like today, he’ll come out and eat birdseed in the middle of the day. I’m afraid our resident eagle is going to catch him doing that but I don’t know if eagles or anything for that matter eats ‘possums?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie