It's Mossberg's 590 designed specifically to function reliably with the shorty shells, thus allowing twice the magazine capacity. This mag can hold 9 on this 18.5" barrel model. That's as much as 10 rounds onboard.

[Linked Image]

My fud gun club doesn't allow buckshot, and you can only use bird shot on clays at the skeet and trap range. I shot at the rifle range, which meant I could only shoot slugs. The recoil with the shorty slugs felt about like a .30-30 out of a 94. Not bad at all.

This particular model only has a bead front sight and no rear sight. This off-hand, standing, five shot group was from 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

I imagine with practice, I can do better with a bead sight shotgun but, regarding group size, this seems good enough for government work, other than the fact that I was shooting way high.

I was just shouldering it, and putting the bead on the center, which I've read is the way shotgunning is done, vs rifle shooting. I guess I need to bring the bead down to just over the top of the receiver, though, if I want to bring the group to point of aim, or just position the bead lower than I want to hit.

Function was flawless.