I have been looking for a 30-338 for a while, maybe a couple of years. I am not sure why this caliber, I have standard 06s an ackley 06, and a 30 Gibbs. I have had other 30 caliber magnums that I have sold. Anyway I guess I just wanted it to be different. If I were to have my choice I was thinking maybe a well done custom mauser of some sort, that has become what I favor. Ideally let someone else spend the bucks to build it and i’ll buy it for way less versus I shell out the money for the build! I found an online auction with some fuzzy pictures of a grade 2 custom shop Remington 700 that was factory chambered in 30-338. Obviously not a mauser but it sounded interesting. It was made in 1987 so in my opinion on the tail end of what I would call good years for Remington. I had a custom shop grade 1 in 300 mag for a short time. It was ok but not what I would expect out of something coming out of the custom shop. I bid enough money to get the rifle bought. When it arrived I was floored. It was amazing. Fit and finish was great, wood was nice checkering was great, inletting was perfect. It has actual steel bottom metal, and a nice skeleton grip cap that is inletted perfectly. Metal finish is a bright gloss. I am extremely pleased to say the least. It has no handling marks that I see. Reminder it is pushing 40 years old. My thoughts buying this was using it for a hunting rifle knowing it wouldn’t probably see rain, snow, and rough brushy terrain. Problem I am having is, do I do that, move it along if someone wants to offer the right price, or put it away as a collector? I dont do well not shooting my guns! I am struggling how perfect this thing is, I don’t even want to put a screwdriver to it to pull the stock off to look under it.

Attached Images
IMG_1782 5 Medium.jpeg (37.89 KB, 455 downloads)
IMG_1791 Small.jpeg (18.22 KB, 446 downloads)
IMG_1788 Small 2.jpeg (16.04 KB, 447 downloads)
IMG_1794 Small.jpeg (16.98 KB, 418 downloads)
IMG_1790 Medium 2.jpeg (29.12 KB, 419 downloads)
Last edited by Rteric; 02/03/24.