I didn’t realize the US Army officially credited Wildcat (AKA Caocoochie) with originating the term HOOAGH! Until just now tho I read of it years ago.

Wildcat and John Horse (AKA Gopher John in this account) made quite an impression upon the US Officers they interacted with, including Brigadier General Thomas Jesup who eventually allowed them to stay in his Washington residence and lent his support.

I believe it was on the occasion described below that Wildcat and Horse, ever the life of a party, showed up purposefully and outlandishly dressed to the occasion in Shakespearean garb from a trunk taken from a traveling acting troop.

https://www.thehistorycenter.org/coacoochee/

Army Spc. James Pernol, a military public affairs journalist at Fort Dix, N.J., cites the official Army position, supported by military history, that attributes the origin of the term to Coacoochee and the 2nd Dragoons (mounted riflemen) assigned to the Florida wars in 1841.

At a banquet following truce talks with the Seminoles, Coacoochee listened as officers of the garrison offered toasts, including “Here’s to luck!” and “The old grudge” before drinking, according to many military sources. Coacoochee turned to the interpreter Gopher John, who explained the toasting. Coacoochee is said to have raised his cup high and shouted, “Hough!” The 2nd Dragoons joined in, creating the enduring legacy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744