I've read most of this thread but not all of it...the Civil War was not about ending slavery...just like WW2 was not about freeing the Jews.

Lincoln stated earlier...“My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the union without freeing any slaves I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.”

The Civil War started 12 April 1861.

The Emancipation Proclamation was promulgated 1 Jan 1863, was an executive order that eliminated slavery in states that were in rebellion....but did not address slavery in States still in the Union.

If the Civil War was about ending slavery then Lincoln would've issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1861...and would've made some provision for all states. It was an executive order, he can write it like he wants to.

At the end of the day...Lincoln preserved the Union and reunited it. Heroes and good leaders died on both sides. After the war's resolution, they were pretty much respected via memorials, road names etc...until recently. JWB did nothing to help any American through his actions regardless of their recent color of uniform.

This is only my opinion...so take it for what it's worth.

-John