I am slowly getting used to the finish on it, it is not nearly as offensive as some that I have seen. I will not be doing anything to it - as much as I dislike doing woodwork it would likely turn out looking horrible anyway.

The good news - I did shoot it yesterday and it shows a lot of promise.

It was a nice blue sky and calm day but only aout 15 degrees - I have a shooting bench for my 50 yard rimfire target on my back deck and it is only about 6 ft from my backdoor. I kept the ammo in the house and would load the magazine inside then step out and shoot, that way the ammo was at a warm temperature (In my experience cold rimfire ammo does not shoot as well as warm ammo does).

I only tried a couple of different ammos - CCI S/V and Norma TAC, the CCI was right at 1/2" for 5 shots at 50 yds and the Norma TAC was near 3/4" for 5 shots at 50yds, I only did three 5 shot groups of each. I was really pleased that it likes the CCI since I have lots of it. The Norma had vertical stringing in an almost perfect up and down with very little horizontal, less than a bullet width - I have never encountered that before with the Norma so I don't know what to think about that.
I will wait until the barrel gets some more rounds down it and warmer temps before trying some mid-grade ammo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.