Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Stankcoy you fkn suburbia dumbass. Crank/piston-rods/pistons have to be forged when you demand that much from a 4 cylinder engine.

Regarding the 4bt/6bt comparison, the 4bt didn't have the inherent balance of a 6bt. It was a rattle trap compared to a 6bt.

It's a cost cutting measure, to go 4 cylinder. Less machining, less forged components and less raw material

The 2.7 gets piss-poor fuel economy compared to the 3 0 inline 6, hauling equal loads. Like any gas engine would.

A 4 cylinder will never equal an inline six in a truck.

Man, it must suck being swayed by marketing literature and youtube videos, than actual mechanical experience........

That’s right hillbilly. It doesn’t get as good a mileage as diesel. I told you it splits the performance and ECONOMY between the 5.3 and the 3.0. Its drive dynamics also splits. It’s smooth and it’s quiet, and has effortless whoosh. My 5.3 buddy always comments how quiet it is when he gets in it. For us hunting and fishing all the time and logging the long miles it’s a beauty option if you don’t want the headaches of diesels. Fuel economy is part of the equation and I’m not wrong in mathing out which of these will be lowest total cost of ownership. Remember it’s one of only two engines GM engineers couldn’t kill. It’s a truck motor, built for work. Less is always more when done right and this 2.7t is the epitome of that in half ton motor segment.

Yeah you got Alaska to try and hold over Alberta here but we get the weather too. I got my poor 2.7 to start after 1 hour plugged in at -40 after sitting for five days through -39 to -46. It wasn’t pretty and threw a few low volt codes the dealer had to clear but I was curious what it could do. I got 10 weekends on ice fishing last year in the trailer, can’t equal that this year due to later ice but this past one on cold lake with -20 lows she fired right up on auto start after 3 days of sitting. Obvious easy burger. I work and play all over the province. I don’t have to do all the winter prep you do it’s pretty rare with these modern gassers to need the block heater. You would need to do half the procedure to yours with this engine over the diesel...maybe you just found your next truck lol.

You’re welcome. Go drive one and tell me how rough it runs lol.

And it’s about cylinder pressures. Turbo Diesel still has more than boosted gas so that’s why the forged bottom end and built like the diesel with the hardest cylinder liners known to man. If you did your homework you’d know all this about this 2.7t, it’s built like a diesel because it’s basically the same thing just a different fuel type. Low compression ratio spark ignition vs high compression squish ignition. Not sure why you’re not about this motor? It’s all truck. They couldn’t go inline 6 on gas, would have been too small and revvy, less torque more hp and 3.0 too much displacement for boosted gas half ton power levels. Have a look at the new hurricane 3.0tt in-line 6 from dodge. Similar hp to torque numbers, 2 extra cylinders and 1 extra turbo, great sport car motor. It’s got too much power for mid segment half ton platforms and not enough for a 2500/3500 segment...swing and a miss dodge.

The 2.7t inline 4 with bigger jugs and longer stroke is the way to fly. At least dodge got one thing right by going inline but facked the rest of the formula...typical dodge.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 02/20/24.