T Inman:

Cookie has 3 DSLR's. Little if any cropping, but just slightly trimmed to fit the typical computer screen. The topmost image you linked to was taken with a Canon EOS 5D Mark 4 using a Canon 100-400 mm lens zoomed to 270mm. I would have to look up the data on the other images. I was not there, but her story was she was backing off the trail so they could get by, meaning they were close. Probably inside of 50 yds. I was unknowingly about 100+yds somewhere behind and upwind of the pair in the out of sight background, and I suspect they were hustling away from me.

The 100-400mm is her bread-and-butter unit being easily handheld, but she also has a 500mm prime when one needs to stretch out. The DSLR's come with several sizes of sensors. Some are smaller than the full frame 35mm sensor and are often called crop sensors. I.e. they are only capturing the central portion of the image the lens is routing into the camera. I think that camera is a 1.6 crop. Another common size is 1.4.

That being, if one has a 100 m lens, the image captured is the optical equivalent of using a 160mm. If one puts on the 500mm, it's the optical equivalent of an 800mm (i.e 1.6X500). If one gets into photography, the real $$$ go into lenses.

There are some newer less expensive lenses coming out now, but their light gathering abilities are a bit weak, and one finds them wanting early and late in the day. I think one can get some 100-800mm glass now for about $2k, but again they are poor in low light. Very sharp when out in bright daylight though.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 02/25/24.

1Minute