I’ve used most of the bedding compounds and some epoxies on bedding rifles.

The dates I have done some of the jobs on the rifles I’ve bedded is quite old. The first were before gels were available, I think - more than 50 years ago.

After talking with a very good gunsmith (in his 80’s) who is famous for his stock work, I find that this popular bedding compound did not find favor with him. Main complaint = too soft. Besides this Gunsmith’s opinion some/many people accounts this compound is soft compared to the “good stuff”. While some swear by it. I’m thinking those who swear by it might not have a long history with it.

I have a rifle that used to shoot sub minute of angle groups with a variety of loads after I bedded it maybe 45 years ago. Now, not so much and I believe it’s bedding issues. The rifle isn’t shot out. I have not put that many rounds through it. Without a bunch of: did you check this or check that or is it your scope etc. I’d like to get some advice.

I just ordered a 4 oz kit of Pro-Bed2000, by the way, and would like to redo some of these earlier bedding jobs. There seems to be several highly recommended compounds and I picked this Pro-Bed2000. If I [bleep] up let me know with that purchase let me know.

Finally:

My questions are these: “What steps are needed to redo a bedding job?”

“How much of the old bedding compound needs to come out if any, etc?”

Thanks

Last edited by Bugger; 03/09/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally