I have kind of a "beater" LC Smith Ideal grade. I shoot clays with it and it has been hunter with alot.
Barrels have been ugly since I got it. Splotchy remaining blue, I guess if all blueing was gone it would look better than it does now. I never worried about it much.
Well cleaning it the other day, I could not get forearm off. It has a "wheel" release besides forearm "lever/spring".
Anyway when I finally managed to remove forearm, I'm checking for burrs or something and noticed forearm lug (soldered on barrel that forearm hooks into) is loose.
So I guess with a little play in that, its hard to release catch and pull up forearm.
Well I'm prepping to try and solder back in place, and worried about getting part too hot and loosening rib or something.
The more I'm thinking about that and looking at barrels, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and have it rust blued and have whoever does that resolder lug.
I have no idea where to start looking. Not looking for a Turnbull restoration just a basic blue. Soeone mentioned "Philips" out of Texas.
Wondering if anyone here would be able to recommend a gunsmith that can help me out. I was told expect to pay $300 or so, does that seem right?
Any help would be appreciated. Just my luck the one hundred year warranty ran out!
Thanks Nick