Brian
I have only been hunting buffalo for the last 5-6 years. Previously I hunted plains game exclusively. After the first 3 trips I realized that I didn’t want to bring anything back. Foregoing taxidermy saved considerable expense which allowed me to go for longer trips. I have been around 25 times and would happily limit myself to plains game. Specifically I prefer hunting wildebeest, zebra, oryx, and really big warthogs.

I have used the 270, 280, 7RM for my light rifle cartridges. I can’t see any differences in performance . I prefer a light and short rifle so sold the 7RM. Ammunition for the 270 is readily available so I have used it on 80% of the trips. Turned my 280 into a 270.

I have tested every type of hunting bullet and prefer the “premium” types. My favorites are 129 LRX, 130 TTSX, 130 Swift AF, 130 Woodleigh, 160 NPtn, and 130 Trophy Tipped. Want to try 130 CX and 136 Federal Terminal Ascent.

Have seen many hunters use 300 W and 338W. Never observed any difference compared to the 270W.

Have been fiddling with a 6.5 RPM but prefer a 270W for African travel.

Last edited by RinB; 03/14/24.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.