Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Got a 35 whelen on my mind…. If you were looking for one what would you go after?? I know the market is slim on selection. May have a lead on a 700 classic but really wondering if it might just be easier to rebarrel an action and just be done What’s your take ?

I've owned Ruger and Remington 35 Whelens. Both had the 1:16 twist and shot 250-grain bullets just fine. If I were in the Whelen market again, then I'd get another of either in a heartbeat.

If I were going to build one from the ground up, then it would be on a commercial 98 Mauser. It might also be a 9.3x62.

Okie John

Not responding to you directly, just in general to this and other posts mentioning the 1:16 twist. JES himself will tell you that a 16 twist will handle up to 250 grains easily, and if you run across bullet discussions with a 35 Whelen, the 225 Sierra bullet seems to be one of the most used, or at least most praised for a variety of game. So I'm not sure what all the super duper extra fast twist for a Whelen is about, unless I'm missing a long high BC bullet in 35 caliber that is available and popular, which is a possibility.

Honest question.

16's have worked fine for me with 250 PT's, Speers, 225 TSX's etc.. For me, I know that a 1-10 doesn't hurt anything either adding some RPM's to the equation, so that's sorta my default if I am ordering a barrel. But I used a CDL for years it worked fine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi