I always went when called to serve. I felt it was my duty as a citizen. One time I made it to being part of a jury. It took three days and was a great experience.

The case was a car accident. It involved a company driver who came out of a side street and tried to cross three lanes and merge with the three lanes on the other side of a median with bushes and small trees. He didn't see poor elderly Glenna B who was driving in the first lane on the other side of the median. She in her late 70s. He T boned her car causing injuries and totaling the vehicle. She was lucky to be alive.

The defense lawyer tried in vain to show Glenna at fault. The lawyer was pretty bad. No Perry Mason here. We had an accident reenactment expert testify. As a vocational Auto teacher the jury voted me in as the foreman. We decided that Glenna would get the max settlement. It was pretty bad for her as she lost her independence not able to drive again.

My auto students enjoyed hearing the details that the accident reenactment expert presented.

I am now so old that I won't be summoned again.

=======
One funny thing happened during the proceedings. We were cautioned about cell phones and the consequences. During the arguments a phone rang! Everyone looked around as to its whereabouts. The judge opened a drawer and quickly turned off his phone! He said: "well I guess I will have to hold myself in contempt".

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/20/24.