Offsets are required in some areas but are the more recent evolution of trap design. The off set gives a gap between the jaws as to do minimal damage and be more “humane”. I worded it that way as I believe close jaw traps weren’t really inhumane to start with. Some will argue that point. Also offset or laminate jaws don’t give up anything to close jaws in holding power and make the PC crowd happy. You’d be surprised how many hunters get butt hurt about trapping and will throw trappers under the bus. So, just get laminate or off set if you’re buying new as it’s the easy button. I have a few Victor 1.5’s and 1.75’s that are closed jaw and I’m going to grind the jaws offset just in case some granola fish cop checks my gear and wants to lecture me. I’d have to check the regs closely before I get back at it as it’s been a few years since I’ve ran a line of any real size. Everything has been a half dozen or so on private land.

As far as prices on fur prices suck all around unless you’re in Alaska for the most part. That’s where you can get money for wolf, wolverine, marten and lynx. Some western US states are getting decent prices on coyotes and Bob cat but not many. Beaver is staying afloat due to Stetson but that’s low end and you get more for the castor. The benefits are are in the predator control and knocking down the nest raiders. You can find a couple decent pod casts to listen to.

Last edited by brinky72; 03/20/24.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.