Originally Posted by Papag
I had it done four years ago. I was one of the ten percent or so that had to get a pacemaker implanted a couple of days later. The TAVR procedure messed up my "distributor" and my heart stopped. For six or eight seconds at a time. Not fun.
BTDT. If there is a significant down side, this would be it. The procedure is well established and the valves proven. They should/will perform an angiogram (sp?) beforehand to determine if any other matters need to be corrected (such as blockage and consequent need for stents) prior to TAVR.

The noted problem comes as the inserted valve mechanism continues to expand and seat itself - that action can interfere with electrical pulses/signals and possibly cause cessation of function - basically a shut down for differing periods of time. I think such failure usually happens during the first three or four days after insertion.

It was explained to me beforehand as having a 5% probability of occurrence, but that probability may have changed since. I do not know the data regarding survival after such an event, but it was a rather extreme adventure. Mine has worked very well since that event and extended recovery from subsequent surgical mistakes, and I am grateful.

Absent concomitant heart issues, the odds for success are quite high.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron