Originally Posted by Hastings
Since 1975 Louisiana has had open primaries in which all candidates of whatever party get to compete and all voters of whatever party get to vote. The only exception that I know of is the presidential primary in which you are restricted to your party and as a consequence No Party and Independents don't get to vote.

There was a move in the legislature this year to change at least some of that because we were ending up with the right and left wing fringe candidates ending up as the only choice in the general election. That is how we one time ended up with David Duke and Edwin Edwards in a runoff for governor in the general election. A sensible Democrat would get pushed out almost every time by a left wing black candidate thereby ensuring a Republican victory. There were exceptions. Kathleen Blanco and John Bel Edwards were elected by pulling in a fair amount of Republican leaning vote and that can be blamed on the sorry excuses for the Republicans they beat. As in Bobby Jindal and David Vitter.

If we can get a closed primary I'll change to Republican to vote against U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy who voted to convict Trump.
Yeah, I heard something about some changes being made, I don't really stay on top of all that. If that happens, I will switch back to republican Bill Cassidy has to go regret, I voted for him other people I know feel the same way.