Jambuster, that right there is why I never ever load hunting ammo closer than .020 if I can help it. Most times I can find a real good load somewhere between .040-.090 even with C&C bullets. My Sauer 101 in 30-06 likes the 150 Sierra PH best at .080 off as just one example of many.

My ammo is loaded and unloaded into rifles many times during hunting season, carried in vest pockets. A scuffed up case head, a piece of dirt or debris of some kind, any number of things and all of a sudden it's tight without a person knowing it. Less than .020 on a caliper is a cat whisker between the jaws. For me and hunting it's function, function, function, first and foremost or otherwise I figure it will bite me at the most inopportune time.

Same thing with crowding the mag length. I try to let .045 minimum. Just for me and my peace of mind knowing things will always work, if someone else wants to do it different, no skin off my back.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.