We live in a house I built in the late seventies. Working in the wood industry, lumber and plywood, came at substantial discounts. It's a moderate four bed, two bath. Haven't had a house payment since 1988. One garage and one shop built as dollars would allow.
When I was still working as the (boss) , I drove my pickups an average of 17 years. Guys that worked for me, one in particular, had five new pickups, while I drove the same one year after year. When I hired a new employee, and they showed up with a new truck in a month or so, I knew that they were committed to four or five years at work.
We aren't rich, our children make their own way. Successfully I will proudly add. During my last ten years of work, I made sure that new toys were purchased and paid for. Boat, camp trailer, four wheelers and such. I always figured what ever class people put themselves in, was what they desired or settled for. I will say I'm still buying ammo, primers when available, and lots of fishing gear. Low class not aspiring for anything else at this age, just enjoying life!