I really don't understand why it is referred to as a "backwards safety", it is different from what a lot of folks are used to but if they can't deal with that perhaps they shouldn't be handling firearms.

Just think of it - a 10/22 has a cross bolt safety in front of the trigger guard, Anschutz 1700 series until fairly recently had a wing safety on the bolt, Ithaca 37's have a safety at the rear of the trigger guard, some Savage lever actions had a safety at the forward end of the lever, various safety styles go on and on. Just think of the CZ 452 as being like a Winchester/Marlin lever action rifle or revolver when you pull it back it is ready to fire.

As far as what you need to know about them - they are generally very accurate and perform above their price point. I have owned, and still own, a 452, and prefer it above the 457 - "backward safety" and all. The Brno (CZ) rifles were built for decades using that style safey and they are generally revered throughout the world as being a totally reliable rifle so most shooters seem to be able to cope with the "backward safety".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.