Originally Posted by 35__Whelen
Wondering - once the personal check clears, and the seller never sends the goods. How is the check writer protected ?

With a personal check, if you get scammed, you have a recourse to file a criminal report with LEO. Fraud, Interstate Wire Fraud, etc.... if in fact it was fraud.
But my problem with my personal check, is they'll have my account number.

I prefer PP and pay/add the fees to the seller, but a Credit Card is the best way. Most Card Companies give you a 30 day product refund/grace period,
including Not receiving the item you paid for.
On wire transfers, I "believe" there is a 3-day period to recoup any money back after being scammed. And after that, you can pretty much kiss that money goodbye.

I have on occasion, had the seller to take their firearm to an FFL in their hometown (to my choosing). I call that FFL 1st and ask if they can look over the gun, as for condition and the right/same gun I'm buying and if they'll do the transfer, once the seller takes it to them. I also tell the FFL I will pay x-amount of money for them to do this, or ask what would they charge to do it for me to avoid being scammed. And once they say they have the firearm in their physical possession to ship to my FFL, I pay the seller by PP (F&F) or credit card.
Other than that, I don't need a firearm that bad, cheap or not.