Thank you all for the comments and advice, Since I posted, I went with the Outfitter recommended Permit Company, I have to say I went to South Africa about 12 years ago, without such support and it all went well, I was apprehensive and ready with the US 4457 form- everything just seemed so much simpler and easier, very little hassle and little time spent at the Johannesburg airport- it was a late flight if that had any bearing.
This time around there was more - the 4457 signed and stamped, flight itinerary, invitation letter, and a dreaded SAPS520- with a section for finger prints for people that cannot read! also the Mandate waiver for handling your permits, and my source of apprehension, a delayed renewal of my Passport, that gummed up the works with all the safari people, travel agencies and permit people involved. it finally arrived and with dozens of copies and scanned documents sent everywhere imaginable I now have a "preapproved package" with all the usual "we're not liable or responsible for anything" fine print. that and the uncertainty of just what could happen at the airports and boarding,

I did take WoodsyAI's advise to heart and paid for the service- it still seems odd after doing it alone before, but never pass up good advice based on real experience.

pete53, I feel right in that same vein for sure, I have the same apprehensions, and frustrations! I fear one forgotten serial number, or not filled out form could end a very expensive trip. its a very real concern for sure however having went once before, and literally having the time and the hunt of my life, I certainly want to assure you it will be worth it!
another incentive was the last few days watercooler work topic has been the applications for western sate hunts (Elk Deer, Pronghorn, etc.) the points and lottery systems, and of course the astronomically low chances of actually getting any permits. while in the midst of that roundhouse discussion, the reality that within a month I'll be hunting and seeing some magnificent animals, all truly unique, on the fabled "Dark Continent" none-the-less! a hunting trip worthy of leather bound books and campfire stories! and there is no years and years of applications and waiting. just go see stuff! shoot stuff!! have a literally a true adventure and see some of the most incredible country ever
thank for all your posts, your comments and personal experiences helped me continue through the process! Desertshooter

Last edited by desertshooter; 04/11/24.