You ever been out there, Mike?
In ‘17, early June, Penny and I were on our way to Culbertson MT where she was gonna spend the summer working as a Travel Nurse in the Hospital.
We stopped off in Sturgis, looked around a little, and were gonna spend the night and see Mount Rushmore the next day. Then head on to Culbertson the day after that. Neither of us knew about Custer State Park, but being a history nerd, I was aware of The Black Hills and it significance to the Lakota. We got up at 6 and had a continental breakfast, and headed for Rushmore.
We rubbernecked around there for a little bit, but I was mostly looking away at those wonderful granite peaks in the distance!😀 I even said to Penny; “these people are looking at the wrong attraction!”
We drove around CSP and Needles Highway and just fell in love with the place. I kept telling her, “No wonder the Indians think this place is sacred! If I was God, this is where I’d live too!”😎
Luckily we had padded our schedule and we weren’t due in Culbertson for another 4 days or so, so we stayed there for another 3 day’s checking out PCS and the wonderful Paha Sapa and the critters residing there before we headed up to Belle Forche in ND..
Even took a bag of apples along for the panhandling donkeys!😀
Coming home in late September, we spent another 5 days there. I wish we’d had another week because all the cowboys were unloading horses and ATVs to round up the Buff in the park! (Every fall they auction off some calves to maintain the balance of the herd) (I believe 5,000)
We spent a week in Cody WY for Yellowstone Park and 5 days apiece at Glacier NP and Roosevelt NP, but I gotta say, that CSP and the Black Hills were one of our biggest highlights.
It’s truly breathtaking, and I think that tower on MT Harney is the absolute top of the world!
If God made anything more beautiful, I think He kept it for Himself!!!!
Edited to add, this is another reason of why I admire GA Custer! Could you imagine getting to explore that area in1874? Dying at 36 doesn’t sound so bad after seeing that!😀
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 04/11/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden