I should confess that I am not a 257Wby fan before writing futher. Let me explain why.

I've handloaded for three 257Wbys for several decades; my current rifle has 1,500+ rounds and accuracy hasn't deteriorated from new, staying around .80MOA, five shots. I shoot the 100gr Noslers with a 3,610 muzzle velocity; while not a max load, it is accurate and adequate for the game hunted.

Too, I have a Ruger No1 in 25-06. Like the Weatherby it has a 26" barrel and shoots the same bullet to the same velocity with slightly better accuracy. This rifle has over 3,500 rounds through it and continues to deliver 5 shot groups @ .50 MOA.

With both rifles I always allow two minutes between rounds when bench testing.

I want to develop some 257Wby loads using Reloder 25 and see if the velocity can be improved enough to justify owning the rifle as I like the workmanship and advantages of the rifle itself. In chronographing other 257 Weatherby rifles at several ranges, the same mediocre performance has been recorded. When I say mediocre, I am refering to velocity vs case capacity vs advertised claims when compared to the actual performance of the 25-06 or 25 Gibbs.

One other criticism deals with muzzle blast and the resultant assault to the ears. Let me attest that the 257Wby will definitely ring your ears unless you intend on hunting with ear plugs. Its similar to other high intensity cartridges such as the 7STW and ilk. When a followup shot is needed in the field, these rounds can deliver significant pain to the ears. I suspect the should also be equipt with spark arrestors.

Overall, I have found the 257AI and the 25-06 to be far more versatile and just as effective as the 257 Wby under hunting conditions.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles