Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Seafire
First of all, did you ever meet a German, who wasn't considered an arrogant a-hole, by an American?

My older sister married a German, a Naturalized American Citizen via Canada, however that worked, his parents came here as agricultural laborers, dunno how that worked either. He’s a quiet, soft spoken and hard-working man, served in the US Marines.

One of my nephews married a German girl, the nephew that moved to Utah. She’s here legal now but they had to jump through hoops. At their wedding a bunch of Germans came over. My mom, pushing 90 at the time, became fast friends with the similarly aged grandmother of the bride.

They had much in common, my mom remembers the sound of Luftwaffe engines and exploding bombs but that was minor compared to the wartime experiences of the German grandmother.

My nephews took the guys out shooting black rifles which seriously impressed them, and one of the ladies went skydiving with my mom.

As to the original topic, our whole traditional Western Culture is Germanic in origin, and on our American Frontier the Germans were often bastions of culture and civilization whereas many of our Scots-Irish were living like feuding Frontier riff-raff. My own Native Irish? We were dragged kicking and screaming out of tribalism by the Brits.

The German soldier wasn ‘t good because of genetics, they were so good because they altruistically gave it their all. Hitler took that selfless idealism and twisted it, which I suppose is the nature of evil.

JMHO
I like this post. My last name drips sauerkraut, our family came from Hanover in the 1860's via Port of New Orleans and are/were farmers ever since (many of the younger generation, me included, just dabble poorly). My Grandmother could speak Low German. Like all good Americans our family never shirked from the khaki. I'm proud to be Deutschamerikaner.

Should add my Brother in Law was an engineer at John Deere's Zweibrucken factory, and after visiting and talking to him, know that the German people are far more reserved than outgoing Americans, but that should not be mistaken for arrogance.

Last edited by Eric308; 04/15/24.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov