Originally Posted by CRS
I agree with the individual dog characteristic on shedding. But need to start at the start and hope for the best. Will certainly talk to, and visit any kennel about the trait for sure. Due to wife, this non negotiable.

The wirehairs with undercoat seem to be the best. Labs and Chesapeake's are certainly a no go. along with GWP and DD's from my research. A plain Vizsla would probably work, but are too cold sensitive. A WPG would work too, but need to verify to make sure I get a hunter line. That is what lead me to the Fousek.

Recently retired and will work any dog I get consistently. I want this dog to be an all around hunter. Upland, waterfowl, blood trailing, coons, sheds etc.

Ive had vizslas. not the wired haired and now own griffs very similar to griffons. both great breeds. I think for water fowl, small game in addition to upland id go cessky. they do shed some. and hunting cover with burrs, seeds have to constantly comb out burrs etc to keep on top of them plus spray with conditioner before hunting. great companions disposition for household dog. finding a good breeder would be my may concern.

I wouldn't chase coons with these two breeds.Personally think too soft. Coons can tear up a dog

DD would be better. id pass on a dog breed that would aggressively chase and kill coons for a companion upland dog . They tend to to go after and kill cats, chickens etc. but I take my dogs everywhere and hike and fly fish with them

Last edited by ribka; 04/19/24.