Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Early 90s the Irish economy was in the tank. Folks actually went to employers and undercut standing wages to get jobs.

The company I drove for sent recruiters over there and had job fairs. Interviews and then job offers for those who could get a visa and get here.

I was working in the office and was asked to go get an Irish family from the bus station. Mom, Dad, and a 16 year old boy who had graduated their version of high school. I chatted them up and got their story. 4 bags, one lost in transit. Not much money. The company would put him up through training, but not them, and they didn’t have enough to carry them through.

That evening I picked them up at the motel and took them to Hardee’s. Walking in, Tom Sr. Ask me
“Help wanted? What’s that mean?” I explained.
He punched Jr in the arm and said “ They are hiring get a job here.” No american BS about pay, hours, duties, or responsibilities. Opportunity? Grab it!

It took them about two months of bustin’ it to get settled so Sr could go to driving school. In less than a year he was driving, they were in a house they were buying, and Jr was working and going to a diesel tech school with intent to turn wrenches for the company until he was old enough to drive for them.

I’ve told that story many times, including here.
The American dream isn’t a fantasy, it’s dirty hands and sore feet. A bit different than 50 years ago? Maybe. But what those people did, coming from a foreign country with very little money, and no government help, proves that the Dream is right there to grab like a brass ring.

For those who want to earn it.

Tommy McCabe and family proved it.

Some of the folks coming are doing just this.^^^ Some are just here for the freebies. Many are doing both.