Back when I was younger, and still calling coyotes seriously like, I carried a benelli 12 gauge auto with number 4 buck and a rifle, usuallly 22/250 but sometimes 257 Robert’s or AI and would even resort to a 270 win on an occasion. Rifles loaded with Sierra light jacked bullets so they fragmented once inside the coyote and didn’t exit, so long as you hit in front of thr diaphram. Also liked the 223, but found it a little lacking in killing power when those call wise yotes would hang up out there 400-600 yards. That was when the old 270 and 90 grain Sierra hollow points really shined.
Back in the 50’s when I first started calling foxes and coyotes hardly anyone else’s was doing it, and the critters were real easy to fool, I used rifle only, Remington 722 in 222 rem.(still have it) that rifle and varmit hunting got me started in hand loading? Hardly anyone was doing that too. About all I could find for powder was 4895 and Herter bullets, shot a ton of herter wasp waist bullets, thought a 1” group was really good. How times have changed.
I tried carrying a rock river heavy barrel AR in 223 for awhile, and liked the rapid fire abilities , but it was bulkier than I liked and it an electronic caller and shotgun just got to be to much
My brother, a damn good caller, lived in Colorado, He and I hunter together quite a lot, both Wyoming and Colorado. Must say together we were a deadly pair. Anyway, he called me one night? his greetings were Bud I did something today you will never in your life accomplish, course what’s that knowing it had to be something about coyotes was my reply, I called in a family unit of 5 coyotes and killed them all on one stand and I didn’t use no damn shotgun either, was his answer.
I never did equal that( closes was 4) and that was the same stand for over an hour and separated coyotes, what about the rest of you coyote hunters here in the Rocky mountain front? what’s your best?