JD45: Be careful as it's a disease with only a single cure.

A nearby store with rod building/fly tying classes and materials is a real plus for beginners. If a few purchases can get one in the door for free, I'd be inclined to toss them some business. There are some mid-level Orvis rods and reels that are reasonably priced. That brand though also goes above the stratosphere on some of their high-end gear if you're so inclined.

I have three Orvis rods (2, 4 and 7 wts) and others by Meiser, Sage, Loomis, Fenwick, Cabela's, and Anonymous. All are fine rods, most are personal builds with the exception of a couple steals, and there are none in particular that generate an orgasmic experience. If the shop does offer rod building classes, that might be a slightly less expensive route to pursue if $$ are an issue. There are a few tricks to rod building that are not difficult to master, but they let one do a professional level job and configure things to your specific likings. Build expenses are about 60 to 70% of an off the shelf unit. Not a great savings, but I enjoy the process on a subzero day. Most popular brands also have blanks for sale, and reel seats, cork, guides, thread, epoxies, etc can be scored from numerous suppliers often as kits.

The only down-side to builds is that one will rarely be warranted.

Again, Orvis is a fine brand, they bounce between selling and not selling blanks, but I'd not be inclined to commit to marrying them above any of the other possibilities out there.

Whatever - Good luck, and keep us up on your doings

Last edited by 1minute; 04/27/24.

1Minute