Originally Posted by PJ65
So an update on the pup. She is doing pretty good. 4 months old and we have sit, stay, come , lay , and place down pretty good. She has been introduced to dead pigeons and will retrieve them, but likes to maul them up a little. She is easily distracted, and often times going to a different environment doesn't mind as well as back home in the pasture. She is steady around gunfire, including the 12 gauge. She will go like hell to retrieve a launcher bumper, but is not really interested in hand thrown bumpers. I think she will grow out of it, any suggestions or thoughts? Been using Water Dog, Dokkens book, 10 Minute retriever, and the WildRose kennels DVD, for reference

Just reading between the lines, but it sounds like maybe you’re putting a bit of pressure on yourself. A 4 month old dog accustomed to the sound of a blank pistol is fine for me. Lots of nonretrieves while sitting, with a few retrieves for reward is my approach. A dog that’s 100% for quick recall on command or whistle will make everyone’s life easier. Calm, consistent training will pay off. A small success is better than a spectacular failure. I haven’t watched the Wildrose dvd’s, but suspect they are good. Oh yea, canvas bumpers beat plastic ones by a mile.

Force fetch? Talk about a can of worms. Duck and cover once THAT discussion starts. 😳